Team-Based Learning: A Solution to In-Class Group Work
- Do you tell students to read before coming to class, yet find they remain woefully unprepared?
- Are you interested in implementing active learning, but have no idea how?
- Do you find yourself regularly calling on the same three people to hold "whole class discussions" (because no one else will talk)?
- Are you supposed to prepare your students to be life-long learners, but aren't sure what that involves?
- Do your students resent and resist group work, for all of the typical reasons?
The tactics of team-based learning (TBL) provide the structure and camaraderie that both students and faculty need to be effective. UNT Faculty, Judi Bradetich, is a certified TBL instructor, who works with the CLEAR office to deliver workshops and facilitate a TBL interest group on campus.
Spring 2017 Workshops for Beginners
In these workshops for TBL beginners, participants will have the opportunity to experience Team-Based Learning first-hand and be encouraged to contemplate ways to embed collaborative team work into their own courses. Participants will be introduced to Best Practices of TBL and learn ways to implement it.
- Mon., February 6, 2017 from 2:00pm-4:00pm, Willis Library Room 140
- Fri., February 10, 2017 from 9:00am-11:00am, Willis Library Room 250H
- Mon., April 3, 2017 from 2:00pm-4:00pm, Willis Library Room 250H
- Fri., April 7, 2017 from 9:00am-11:00am, Willis Library Room 250H
Refreshments will be provided.
To register, please click this link: https://clear.unt.edu/tbl2017_registration
Since this workshop is designed for participants to experience TBL as a student would, participants are encouraged to read a two-page article, “The Least You Need to Know About Team-Based Learning,” by Jim Sibley. Participants can access this article by visiting the CLEAR TBL Library Guide page.
TBL Interest Group
If you cannot attend these times but are interested in learning more about team-based learning, or if you are already implementing TBL, we have a TBL group on campus that meets informally to discuss strategies and ideas for implementing TBL. Please email Judi Bradetich at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the TBL listserv for more information.
- Team-Based Learning Collaborative: “The Team-Based Learning Collaborative is an organization of educators from around the world who encourage and support the use of Team-Based Learning in all levels of education.”
- CLEAR TBL Library Guide: Click here for a listing of suggested TBL readings, including the workshop reading: “The Least You Need to Know About Team-Based Learning.” You will need to log in to the UNT library with your UNT EUID to access some of the readings on this page.