Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. It prevents students from accessing an exam within a regular browser. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.
We have created a helpful "Tips for Success on Remote Exams and Quizzes" document for you to distribute to students explaining how to use the LockDown Browser for Exams and Quizzes.
For technical support, contact the CLEAR Faculty Helpdesk. Students who encounter problems taking a test with LockDown Browser should immediately contact their instructor or instructor-assigned proctor.
Click on the options below to learn how Respondus LockDown Browser is used within Canvas.
Configure a Quiz with LockDown Browser
To set up a quiz in Canvas that requires students to use LockDown Browser, follow these steps:
- Make sure the quiz has been created in the Canvas course.
- Click Settings in the far left Course Navigation menu.
- Click on the "Navigation" tab at the top of the page.
- Scroll down the list of items until you find "LockDown Browser."
- Click the three vertical dots next to "LockDown Browser" and select Enable. "LockDown Browser" will move up to the top portion of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the green Save button.
- Now that LockDown Browser has been enabled, click on the tab in the far left Course Navigation menu.
- Select "Continue to LockDown Browser" at the bottom right.
- A list of quizzes in the course will be displayed. Quizzes labeled with “Required” under "LockDown Browser" require students to use LockDown Browser. Quizzes labeled with “Not Required” do not require students to use LockDown Browser.
- To change the settings, click on the grey drop-down button to the left of a quiz name. Select "Settings," then select "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam."
- You can select "Require LockDown Browser to view quiz feedback and results." Under "Password Settings," you may create an access code that students must enter to start the quiz.
- If you wish to use Respondus Monitor, select "Require Respondus Monitor for this exam" under "Monitor Webcam Settings."
- Click the blue Save + Close button.
Respondus Monitor Feature in Canvas
Respondus Monitor is a webcam feature for LockDown Browser that records students during their exam. Instructors can require students to use a webcam and microphone with Respondus Monitor. After the student has completed the exam, an instructor can review the details of the exam and watch the recorded videos.
Enable Respondus Monitor for an Exam
If you choose to use Respondus Monitor, additional settings will appear while configuring a quiz with LockDown Browser (explained above). To require all students use a webcam during the exam, select “Require Respondus Monitor for this exam” (step 7, above).
Tip: To ensure your first exam using Respondus Monitor runs smoothly, have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam before taking a graded exam.
Review Webcam Videos
If students were required to use Respondus Monitor, instructors can access information about the exam sessions and review the recorded videos.
- Return to your Canvas course and select "Lockdown Browser" from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Select the drop-down arrow to the left of the exam title, then select Video Review.
- A class roster will be shown, along with the date, time, duration of the test, and grade (if applicable).
- You may then click the "+" to the left of the student's name to review the exam details.
When students access a quiz that requires Respondus LockDown Browser, they will see a message (shown below) that tells them to launch LockDown Browser and provides a download link in case they have not yet downloaded the program.
Once a student has downloaded Respondus LockDown Browser, they must open the program. A pop-up for "Choose Server" (pictured below) will appear that says "More than one e-learning system is used at your institution. Please select the appropriate system from the list below. The student must choose "UNT Denton Canvas."
After opening LockDown Browser, the student must then navigate to their course and begin the quiz.
Additional Guides, Manuals, and Tutorials
My students are reporting that the quiz is not loading. What do I do?
LockDown Browser does not cache image or media files and, as a result, Canvas may have difficulty loading the quiz. This issue can be fixed by changing a setting in the Canvas quiz following these instructions:
- Navigate to the course.
- From the Course Navigation Bar, click Quizzes.
- Open the relevant quiz.
- Click the Edit button at the top right of the page.
- Make sure you are under the Details tab.
- In the middle of the page, check mark the box next to "Show one question at a time."
- Click the green Save button.
This fix will make it easier for Canvas to load the quiz since questions will display one at a time. The problem can worsen if WiFi is being used due to limited bandwidth. If the issue persists, please contact the CLEAR Faculty Helpdesk through email or 940-369-7394.
Download LockDown Browser (Student Edition)*
The Student Version of LockDown Browser uses a standard Windows or Mac installer. This download link is unique for UNT and can be used by faculty or students:
*Don't use the "Student Edition" of LockDown Browser on UNT-owned computers; use the "Lab Edition" instead. Log in with your UNT credentials to Download the Lab Edition.
Sage Hall Testing Center
Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) is installed on the 160 machines in the Sage Hall Testing Center (http://it.unt.edu/test). You can find more information about the testing center and make a reservation for your class to take an exam there at http://it.unt.edu/test.
When completing the reservation form for the exam, you must enter Respondus LockDown Browser within the Software Restrictions and/or Requests blank.