- Do your students attend class, yet remain mentally disengaged?
- Are you tired of being a one-person show as you lecture, show video-clips, and lead class discussions with the same few students?
- Are you wanting to try something different, but don't know where or how to start?
The tactics of team-based learning (TBL) provide the structure and camaraderie that both students and faculty need to be effective. UNT Faculty, Judi Bradetich, is a certified TBL instructor, who works with the CLEAR office to deliver workshops and facilitate a TBL interest group on campus.
TBL 101 Workshop
In these workshops for TBL beginners, participants will experience Team-Based Learning first-hand and contemplate ways to embed collaborative teamwork into their face-to-face courses. Participants will be introduced to TBL Best Practices and learn ways to implement it in their courses.
TBL 102 & 103 Advanced Workshop
In these workshops for TBL practioners, participants will further explore TBL. In order to attend these workshops, participants will have to have attended a TBL beginner's workshops before.
TBL 102: The Next Step: This workshop will address the logisitics and design aspects of implementing TBL in a face-to-face course. In order to attend this workshop, participants will have to have attended a previous TBL workshop.
TBL 103: What's the Big Idea: This workshop will address developing application activities for a TBL face-to-face course. In order to attend this workshop, participants will have to have attended a previous TBL workshop.
Since this workshop is designed for participants to experience TBL as a student would, participants are encouraged to read a two-page article, “The Least You Need to Know About Team-Based Learning,” by Jim Sibley. Participants can access this article by visiting the CLEAR TBL Library Guide page.
If you cannot attend these times but are interested in learning more about team-based learning, we have a TBL group on campus. If you want to learn more about joining, please email CLEAR Teaching Excellence Consultant, Dr. Nancy Fire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Team-Based Learning Collaborative: “The Team-Based Learning Collaborative is an organization of educators from around the world who encourage and support the use of Team-Based Learning in all levels of education.”
- CLEAR TBL Library Guide: Click here for a listing of suggested TBL readings, including the workshop reading: “The Least You Need to Know About Team-Based Learning.” You will need to log in to the UNT library with your UNT EUID to access some of the readings on this page.